Thursday, October 18, 2007

When it rains it pours

It's rained just about every day this week here in Minnesota. I really don't mind so much. After all the summer heat and unusual fall weather we had been having, it's nice to sleep with the window open and listen to the rain. Plus, I get to make comfort food! I'm not very motivated to heat up my apartment when it's sweltering already, so now that it's nice and cool I'm all over it. What better way to welcome fall than with chili! This was really my second round of the dish for the season, but there weren't any leftovers the first time and I was still craving it :) I don't follow a set recipe, just whatever sounds good, so the following is what I wanted this time. I needed to use up some potatoes, so I mashed them up to go with. Talk about comfort food!

Chili
1 lb. Ground Beef

1 packet Chili seasoning (I used McCormick)

1/2 Large onion, diced

1 can Kidney beans

1 can Tomato sauce (15 oz.)

1 can Diced tomatoes

1 Green pepper, diced small

1/2 Large bag frozen corn

Chili powder, garlic powder and other seasonings to taste


Brown beef and onion; drain. Add all other ingredients. Simmer until chili reaches desired consistency, at least 10 minutes. Serve with assorted toppings.


My husband likes his with yellow mustard, sour cream (if we have it) and saltines. I like cheddar cheese. Next time I'll have to make corn bread!

No pictures of the mashed potatoes (a white lumpy mound doesn't make the most interesting subject). I don't have any special tricks with them, just boil and mash with lots of butter and a few splashes of skim milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment